Monday, February 28, 2011

Wednesday, March 23rd, 2011 - Beef and Mushroom Stroganoff

Recipe: Mushroom Stroganoff from "Best Ever Three and Four Ingredient Cookbook", pg. 243

Can't find cream and mushroom and cream of chicken soup here, but I love stroganoff, so I attempted to use this recipe, which replaces cream of mushroom with a white wine sauce.  I'm not making a white wine sauce, so I attempted to make a substitution with this:

1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup unbleached white flour
2 cups chicken broth, slowly pour in, don't add all if consistency is right

add more water if it is too thick
Salt and freshly ground black pepper


Pour the olive oil into a saucepan over medium heat, then add the flour and stir with a wire whisk until all the flour is dissolved and the mixture looks like a paste. Reduce the heat and slowly add chicken broth; the mixture will start to thicken quickly. Continue to stir and remove from the heat, for a bit, then replace back on heat. Slowly pour in the chicken broth while you continue to stir.


I added ground beef to this recipe.

The white wine sauce actually thickened this time, so I got the right consistency, but the whole thing was bland.  Add LOTS of salt and pepper, maybe even some Italian seasoning next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment